Saturday, January 23, 2010

Give It Your Best!

How much effort do you put into serving God? How much effort do you put into your job, or your marriage, etc? I went to watch my son play basketball this morning. He is on a 4 year old team that doesn't know all of the rules yet or how to really play the game. However, they knew enough to play and even made some baskets. During the game the coach served as the refs and gave constant instructions to the kids as they ran up and down the court. No matter whether they scored or turned the ball over, they were having fun. They were giving it their all. As I came home and began to think about the game, the Holy Spirit began to teach me. No matter how old we get, we are still learning. No matter how long we have been serving God, we are still learning. No matter how long we have been married, we are still learning. We never stop learning. To stop learning is to stop growing and caring. I did a funeral for a godly man this past week that was 91 years of age and he constantly told me he was still learning. As we go through life we have a coach/ref that is going up and down the court with us giving us instructions and keeping us in check as far as the rules go. He is the Holy Spirit. Jesus said that He would not leave us alone, but would send the Holy Spirit to go with us in this life. That doesn't mean that I won't make mistakes as I go, but it does mean that when I do, He is there to help. This morning as the kids were playing, they sometimes dribbled the ball and sometimes they kicked it. Whatever they were doing they gave it there best effort. That is my word to you today. Go give God your best. Go give your marriage and your family your best. Go to work or school this week and give it your best. God bless

No comments:

Post a Comment