Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"Cussing" Christians

Is there even such a thing? Can someone be a "cussing" Christian? This is a term that I am hearing more and more. Let me just say from the beginning that I don't believe someone can truely be after the heart of God and have a habit of cussing. Let me explain. James chapter 3 deals with the fact that the tongue is the most unruley member of the body and the most difficult to control. We are reminded how that a horse is controled by a bridle and a ship by a small helm, but the tongue can cause great damage. We have all been in a situation where we have spoken hurtful things before we could stop ourselves. It seems that at times the tongue has a mind of its own. The only way the tongue can be controled is to have your heart full of God's Word and His Spirit. The Bible says that we speak what is in our hearts. If our hearts are full of God, then we will speak with His love. However, if we have filled our hearts with the things of this world and ignored our relationship with God, then how can we speak with His love. James chapter 3 tells us that we are not to curse and bless with the same tongue. We are not to bless the Lord and then curse our neighbors. Sweet and bitte water is not to flow from the same source. Now we can debate all day what is cursing and what is not, but the reality is that if it is offensive to someone it should not be spoken. We are the ambassadors of Christ. Meaning that we are to represent Him in all things. How am I representing Him when I speak? Would Jesus use these same words? In an effort to be "cool" and to reach a crowd, too many ministers of Christ are compromising in their language. This should not be so. Jesus never compromised for the purpose of reaching anyone. He always stayed true to the Fathers will and commandments. He never "toed" the line so to say. You and I do not have to compromise in any way to reach this world. If we show them the real Jesus that in it self will make the differnce. So watch what you say today and make sure that sweet water is flowing from your lips. Post your thoughts on this and lets have some dialoge. God bless

1 comment:

  1. Lee, I'm reading, I'm watching and generally I like and applaud all I read. You seem to be doing a great work, and I pray for your continued blessings. On the subject of "cussing" christians there's nothing in your blog I disagree with HOWEVER, i believe we are often to quick to point out others "sins" while forgetting or excusing our own. (Please know this is not directed to you, but church people in general). I feel confident that if you ask any christian person they will tell you that "a lie is a lie, a sin is a sin and it's all black and white, the Bible says it, period" But then when you start to ask them questions you quickly find out that some things they may do are not "sins" because they've "worked it out with God" or because "that's not what God or the Bible meant", etc. They seem quick to "excuse" their downfalls as ok, but others downfalls as "outright sin". "Cussing" is one of those "sins" that is depends on who you ask as to what is a cuss word or not. But it really don't stop there. How many christians speed when driving (breaking laws of the land) "window shop" desiring what they can't have "covet", gossip, or whatever. You see my whole point here is to say that we all have sin, we are none perfect, and yes, I believe there may be "cussing" christians just as well as there are "speeding" christians. I believe both are not "Christ-like" and therefore could be sins but remember, every christian says "a sin is a sin". but "oh brother, speeding isn't a sin, it's a ...????..." It's easy to point at the thorn in our brothers eyes but often we miss the mote that is in ours. As I do agree with all you said, and couldn't of said it any better, i feel we often get too caught up in "naming sins" and not focusing on the one who judges us all, for who we are. In agreement with you, there are "cussing" preachers who are quick to you that if you "lie, cheat or steal" your going to hell, but those who lie say no it's those who "smoke" that are going to hell, but as the smoker blows smoke in your face they tell you they're saved and it's those "drunks" whose going to hell, but then as the drunk finishes his beer he tells you it's those who "kills" that going to hell, and so on and so on.. it always seems that "sins" are what others do more often than "I" (not me, but you know I mean) but it is always easier to call what others do "sin", and not as easy to call what we do "sin". Over the years I have tried to focus on the "Christ" likeness in everyone as I feel that when I do, then "Christ" shines through and if there is sin, either in myself or anyone else, then the Glory of Christ exposes it, not I, and then hopefully we can all come out a little closer, a little more Like Christ. We all need to be "aware" of sin, but we should concentrate on being more aware of our own than of others: always exhorting Christ as Lord and Saviour of our Lives. Just a thought as I sit here and recover from surgery, keep them going. I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete